Friday, June 5, 2009

Healthy confidence

“I am a witch – and I know.” That was the forceful and crystal clear statement made to me from about two inches in front of my face.

While we were enjoying a daylong party at Dora and Serjão’s new apartment last weekend the conversation at one point turned to Luiz’s battle with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. As is always the case people expressed heartfelt concern and wondered impatiently why he “just doesn’t get a bone marrow transplant?” (Long story – but this is not an appropriate/safe option at this point.)

Luiz is very good about fielding questions and being 110% upbeat. And he is very patient with those who insist he launch into treatments they know very little about.

Me, on the other hand – I just stand off to the side and tear up. I can never be involved in these conversations without crying (I can’t even write this account -- I’m crying right now). At some point folks notice Jim is melting and come give me a hug.

On this occasion Dora came up to me and insisted I look her straight in the eye. “Jim. Listen to me,” she said. “Nothing bad is going to happen to Luiz. Nothing.” I nodded my head and wiped my tears. With a penetrating gaze she assured: “I am a witch – and I know.”

I like having witches on our side.

1 comment:

GingerV said...

Within 3 months of Camillo's death women were asking me if I planned on finding a new man and marry again. People can be just plain dumb. Jim, live in the moment. Love him now. Are you hearing me. Sometimes I think that I didn't tell Camillo in enough ways that I loved him. I was not enough in the moment to let those moments be enough.