Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rant - caution

Can I have just one post to strike back against some of the vulgarity we have had to live with coming from relentless evangelical christians? I mean no disrespect to those readers whom I know are devout. But I do want to speak out about the offensive treatment we have survived in the wake of Tonico’s death.

In our most vulnerable moment, is it right that we get bibles shoved in our faces? Do christians have no shame? Our experience was that while in the emergency room at the hospital, learning that our father, and husband, has died – a vulture christian moved in to suggest that we should embrace her religious perspective. She provided a shiny new bible for us to find a new way forward.

Gag me. Shame on her. Shame on her church that sends her to an emergency room to lurk around for grieving families. Shame on their whole strategy. Gag me.

We will survive this loss on our own terms, thank you very much. We don’t need your self righteous crap. Back off.

I wish religious people would take a little time to see how their proselytizing is actually offensive.

OK – done. End rant.

3 comments:

The Reader said...

Oh, Jim....I am so sorry. Sorry for the loss of Tonico, sorry for the pain of grief that you & Luiz most certainly are feeling, and sorry for the flagrant abuse you suffered in the ER. Any time I hear of such actions it makes my blood boil and my heart break.

Please know that as you make your own way forward, I'm sitting here praying that way is made easier with each passing day. AS you (all of you) walk through this grief, may you find with each step that a tiny sliver of the burden is being lifted.

I am again so very sorry for the pain, not only of the loss, but also of the rant-inducing behavior you endured in the ER. Abracos to all of you.

Jim said...

Thank you Heather. I truly feel your support and appreciate your reaching out.

And I know you are a thoughtful woman of faith - so your comments are particularly meaningful to me.

Luiz, Zozó and I are grateful for support from folks like yourself.

Fabio Bossard said...

It's so wrong how these christians use the name of God to spread out their ignorance.