Thursday, February 11, 2010

Simple pleasures

Some time ago we let it be known that one thing we missed about living in the States was the existence of quality, yet cheap, zip-lock food storage bags. A simple thing. But when it is gone, you notice. At the big grocery store in our neighborhood, 10 zip-lock SANDWICH bags costs more than R$6.00. And the quality is not there.


Since then we have had three friends come to visit and each one has brought a bumper crop of bags with them.

OK – I think we have this desire covered. Thanks everyone. It will be 6 – 10 years before we can use up all the zip-lock bags we now have.

We do enjoy taking food to a party in one of these bags. Then when we return in weeks or months thereafter we see that same bag being recycled within the household. Sharing the love.

I think we should put a call out for a different household item. Hmmmmm… We already have vacuum bags for the next couple of years. We could really use a new Dust Buster vac. But you know – and this will come as a bit of a shock to US readers, while being totally understandable to Brazilian readers – just plain plastic wrap in a box with a serrated blade would be a joy. Here the plastic wrap is infinitely thinner and more sticky and comes without a dispenser box. It’s like trying to find the end of the cello tape on the roll every time you want to wrap up some leftovers.


Not complaining – don’t get me wrong. I’m just putting it out there. Next time you visit, bring a few rolls of Saran Wrap. Make a guy happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh. The saran wrap here is something else, and tupperware/general food storage is very very expensive. It's amazing, I was stockpiling hair & soap products for my move which have turned out to be the cheapest thing yet.

Jim said...

Tricia - I still can't believe my eyes when I see that a crappy version of an ironing board costs R$99,00 -- what's that about!?

I just keep repeating: "don't compare... live local..."

GingerV said...

I like the plastic wrap here more than the states, hate the alminum foil, and after 7 years sill bring back ziploc bags in multiple sizes.... I recycle them in house for months.... before throwing one out. I have to bring hair products with me also.... my hair is fine and straight and all here has conditionor in it....I need a good ironing board for rio - a cheap one there is well cheaply made and about 169R in cost....