Saturday, December 5, 2009

Turkey Day in Niterói

While a bit behind schedule by American standards, I prepared a turkey dinner today. If you just monitor available ingredients at the grocery store, there was a deafening silence around Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a non-event here in Brazil. Thanksgiving what? Who? When?

But now that we are into December, turkeys are filling the freezer section of the grocery store. Everybody loves a good turkey for Christmas dinner.

For me – I’m playing catch-up for Thanksgiving. Today I made a scrumptious rice, sausage, apple, raisin stuffing for a small bird. Luiz salivated from the sidelines asking for a salty greasy gravy for his mashed potatoes. Steamed vegetables and a crisp salad rounded out my post-Thanksgiving feast.

We have fixins for several lunches to come.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds amazing! We are definitely having turkey for Christmas! I really missed having Thanksgiving this year! As for your mashed potatos, how do you make them here? I made them with sour cream back home to make them creamy..how do you make them? (can you tell I'm not a creative cook(like yourself!)? Im hoping to get better with having my own kitchen :) )

Jim said...

Mashed potatoes are a snap. Use creme de leite and some butter. WONDERFUL!

If you really want to go over the top, pour in a little requeijão. But don't tell anybody. They will just think you are a magician.

Your own kitchen?!? Do you have some news? =;-0

Fabio Bossard said...

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love writing it and I've been receiving positive comments.
Now, I have a question for you. I've always wanted to know how to say "requeijão" in English. I dont even know if it exists in the US. One person told me that cream cheese is not the same. Now that you live here and know what a requeijão is, you could tell me.

Jim said...

Fabio - there is no equivelent of requeijão in the United States. At least I have never seen it. Cream cheese is much more firm and has a more mild flavor.

Requeijão is one of those reasons we love Brazil. There is nothing like it!