Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mastering Havaianas

When I was a boy I wore flip flops pretty much only when taking a shower at summer camp or in family campground public showers.  They were not regular footwear.

Since moving to Brazil I have worn Havaianas (flip flops) pretty much 80% of the time.  To the beach, to the grocery store, to the dentist, to the park, to the shopping mall, to the cardiologist, to the bakery – you get the idea.

At first my toes were sore.  Not being a flip flop guy, I was forever afraid they would separate from my feet, so I would scrunch my toes to try and hold on to the flimsy footwear.  

As for the locals – it is amazing to watch people in flip flops run, scramble up a hillside, work a construction site, navigate the rocky shore at the beach, you name it.

Nowadays I’ve gotten much better – much more unconscious – when wearing my Havaianas.  My toes are no longer scrunching to hold on to our connection.

I take it as a sign of assimilation.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I could run marathon in mine! LOVE THEM! And there are many different styles if a particular kind hurts. And you can own a different color for each outfit ;)

The Reader said...

I applaud you! I've not yet got it figured out. Luckily for me, I live in a place where ladies where showy shoes more than havianas, so I don't have to learn.

Stephanie said...

LOL that made me laugh, I was totally a toe scruncher too!

bee and jay said...

We have a picture outside the Havaianas store in Rio holding a shopping bag full to bring home.We can't live without them.We think the reason they do stay on is that the "post"(between your toes)is shorter.When we were there we saw construction workers wearing them!

Ben said...

Did you know that is like riding a bicycle? You never forget how to wear them. I wore them all the time growing up in the Seychelles. 35 years past without them except on occassion then I came to Rio and there I was again nearly every day! Now use them round the house as slippers now. :-)

Anita said...

Do you ever take them out ?

Jana said...

Ha me tooo! As sign of assimilation! I, like Rachel feel like I can run a marathon in them and after walking up and down these hills in my neighborhood carrying bags of heavy groceries I wouldn't want anything else on my feet =)

Mrs. Carioca said...

How did you grow up not wearing flip flops? I wore them every summer, I still do. I remember all the rich kids in high school in Maryland wore Havaianas, ha!