Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Balls of steel



Have you seen this? A tourist crawls out to the lip of a near 1,400 foot cliff to view the Fumaça waterfall in Chapada Diamantina, Bahia.  Meanwhile a local guy (perhaps a capoeirista - from the way he is dressed?) stands above the tourist, his feet just inches from the edge.  Yikes!

Not me... but I can proudly say I once ate my lunch with my legs dangling over the sheer edge of Half Dome in Yosemite.

The Fumaça waterfall looks like a beautiful spot.

3 comments:

Jana said...

OHHH My...that was hard to watch.. those locals! I was scared in Iguazu on a tourist platform with metal railings!

GingerV said...

more like hardening of the arteries than balls of steel. (loved the title - made me come look) that guy was another tourist - he's wearing breads....uck.

Tracy said...

Hi Jim,

I was at this exact spot in September; it was awesome! I actually was crazy enough to want to stand up on that ledge, but my guide wouldn't let me. I'm not afraid of heights and the distance to the valley floor didn't seem that dramatic looking down. Oh, and looking down off of Half Dome was way more scary/exhilarating. Maybe it was because I had just hiked 8 miles up to that point!