Monday, March 2, 2009

Thank you Mr. Harvey



It may seem a bit out of step for me to pay tribute on our blog to a radio personality. I can see how folks would see it that way. But let me share with you a very old secret - Paul Harvey, who died Saturday at the age of ninety, was a specific powerful and early influence for me in terms of my story telling and writing style.

I read his book "The Rest of the Story" back in the early 1980's when I was in college, studying to be a story-telling educator. Mr. Harvey's "wait until the end to reveal the critical piece that pulls it all together" style made a real impact on me. I've enjoyed aspiring to his expertise ever since.

I remember staying up at night in my bedroom on Kelly Street (in my childhood) to listen to his radio broadcast while lying in my bed. Great stuff.

Without going on too long - let me just pay my respects.

Thank you Mr. Harvey. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listened to him on Saturdays at work back during the high school days in the late 50s. Talk about a long career!.

ExpatBrazil

PS: Added your Blog to my Blog Roll.