Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Freestylers take center stage

All this World Cup attention on football/soccer is bringing the Freestyle folks out of the urban alleyways and rural playgrounds to show off their stuff.

Freestyle is an individually played but competitively appreciated sport somewhere between futebol fancy footwork and break dancing. Sorta like individual hacky sack with a soccer ball. It is mind blowing when played well. And its popularity is exploding around the world.

Check out this video of Ronaldinho showing off his moves. The musical remix by the Black Eyed Peas of Segio Mendes’ classic “Mas Que Nada” is worth the time by itself.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love freestylers! I think it's so cool!

Unknown said...

PS not to be a song snob, but that's what I'm known for. The BEP's are covering "Mas Que Nada" by Sergio Mendes... :D

Jim said...

Rachel - yeah - there are some great videos on YouTube of these guys and gals doing incredible things.

Linds - THANKS for the heads up. I actually learned that in my background research for the post and linked to the right songs, but in an earlier draft I had it wrong in the text. Then I failed to update the song title. -- Song snob eh? Are you a fan of the Caipirinha Appreciation Society podcast? They are always suprising/pleasing me.