Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere



My friend for many years, COLAGE Director Beth Teper.
Please take 15 minutes and watch this.  It's a new film by a very important youth group.

It may seem off topic for an expat blog -- but this topic has been a priority for me for nearly 20 years.  As an activist in San Francisco so many years ago I instantly saw the power and primacy of supporting the children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer parents.

I have been a financial supporter of COLAGE (formerly: Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere -- and now COLAGE: People with a Lesbian, Gay, Bisxual, Transgender, or Queer Parent) from the beginning.  They have inspired me since before I had the knowledge of coming from such a family.

What sets this youth-led, organic, powerful, civil rights organization apart is their media savvy.  They have figured out how to share authentic personal stories with the media in a way that combats the "news makers" from slicing and dicing their remarks into sound bites to further hateful agendas. 

And every minute along the way they have been supporting children, youth and young adults from LGBTQ families with love and encouragement.  Their history and impact is inspiring to me.  They make me want to open my checkbook!

Just watch…


And if you want to support their work, check out this site.

2 comments:

Mark Snyder said...

Thank you so much for sharing our film. Please note our name is now: COLAGE: People with a Lesbian, Gay, Bisxual, Transgender, or Queer Parent. Gracias!

Jana said...

Very inspiring, what a wonderful group! I am forwarding along to friends... thanks for sharing!