Thursday, December 23, 2010

Going old school

Just to be clear, I am not a religious person.  If you know me well you know how crazy it is even to say that.  But I know there are some readers who don’t, as yet, know me that well.

My family is Catholic and I was raised within the fold.  But I gave up Catholicism for Lent about 30-some years ago and have never looked back.

But there are remnants of my religious upbringing that have not faded.  The chill I get when hearing a beautiful rendition of Ave Maria is one of them.  Maybe it is because my mother loves this song so.  Or maybe it’s because it was played at the funerals of both my father and my sister.  Or, who am I kidding, maybe it’s both.

So combine Christmas far from my birth family and Chantacleer and you get seven and a half minutes of music that makes me horripilate.

Feliz Natal; Merry Christmas everyone.

2 comments:

American Heart Brazilian Soul said...

Dear Jim,

Thanks for sharing, I am with you on this one!
Very nice...
Merry Christmas to you, Luiz and your loved ones.


Ray

Fiona said...

Yes. I love Handel's Messiah. My dad used to play it around this time of year and it still fills me with warmth and sentiment.
Happy Holidays, dear Jim!!!!! Beijos.